Monday, November 17, 2008

The Philadelphia Story (1940, U.S.)

Have you read my review for Sabrina? I almost should just copy and paste it here. Almost.

Obviously, anything with Cary Grant in it is going to be far superior to anything with Humphrey Bogart, in my humble opinion. Although, they really are very different. Kind of like Katharine Hepburn and Audrey Hepburn.

This one really had a complicated, five-sided love "triangle." Cary Grant is Katharine Hepburn's ex-husband. She's engaged to another guy. And then two reporters show up to cover the wedding—the female reporter loves the man, and then the male reporter falls for Hepburn. It's a bit hard to keep up at times.

As situational comedies go, it's complex but entertaining. I especially liked that there was no telling who was going to end up with who at the end until the very last second. Again, it's not my favorite old romantic comedy, but it really is quite good. And I adore Cary Grant, have I mentioned?

Rating: 3.5

No comments: