Friday, July 2, 2010

Serious Moonlight (2009, U.S.)

What an unfortunate movie. I'll just put it out there—I hate Meg Ryan. But my mom wanted to watch this one, so I did. A woman finds out her husband is cheating and planning to leave her, so she does the only sensible thing and duct tapes him to the toilet, telling him she'll let him go only when he loves her again.

It's an interesting concept with only four main characters, but it's like the filmmakers couldn't decided to make it a comedy or a psychological drama, and the combination just leaves an unsettled, unsatisfied feeling. If they hadn't tried so hard or had decided what they were trying to do, it could have been good or even amazing, but it wasn't. Combined with bad acting, it just wasn't great. I did keep in mind that the writer (and probably planned director) was murdered before the film could be made, so maybe she could have made it better, like by not casting Meg Ryan. (She was the one behind Waitress, which was quite good.)

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you want to make your mother happy.

Rating: 2.5

No comments: