Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Magic Mike (2012, U.S.)

Yes, I saw this movie. In the theater, no less. But just to be clear, it was my mom's idea, not mine! (And yes, I saw a male stripper movie with my mother. Fun times!) I think the theater experience really added to this one, because I was in a sold out crowd with at least 99% women. I'm not even sure there was one man in the audience. When we left the theater, the three employees waiting to clean up were all young-ish men, and they all had this sweet but knowing grin on their faces. Then when we were in line for the restroom afterwards, the lady in front of me turned around and said, "I sure hope my husband's awake when I get home!" How could you not like a movie with an experience like that?

Really, I did enjoy this movie, and not just for the obvious reasons. There actually was a plot. Mike wants to make enough money (or get a loan from uncooperative banks) to start his own custom furniture business, but when he takes a new guy under his wing, his dreams get farther and farther away. He repeatedly tells people that he is not his job. However, while we do learn a lot about his job and the life that goes with it, I have to say that I was disappointed that we don't learn more about his coworkers. I really like Joe Manganiello and Matt Bomer, but they and the others were hardly more than background scenery.

Still, Channing Tatum would have stolen the show no matter what. (Forget Matthew McConaughey... he was sketchy and old-looking, though perfect in his role as club owner.) Maybe Tatum isn't the best actor in the world, but it's always so hard to tell. He has this inherent charm that makes you like him. I think it lives in his dimples. Anyway, he is also an incredible dancer, and a lot of his performances were really more hip hop than striptease, but mesmerizing all the same.

This one is really one of a kind, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. But the ending kind of ruined it for me. It was way too abrupt, and I didn't like how things ended for Mike or his protégé. When the screen faded to black after the last scene, I thought, "Really?!"

Still, it was pretty good, and I would certainly recommend it to the ladies (and maybe even watch it again myself) to see the magnetic Mr. Tatum dance.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: