Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dinotopia (2002, U.S.)

One guess as to why I picked this one out. The correct answer would be Wentworth Miller. I finished re-watching the first three seasons of Prison Break this summer break, and I was ready for a Wentworth fix. Since season four doesn't start for another week, I started looking for films. And I discovered this rare gem of a kid's movie, made-for-tv, and starring a 30-year-old Went as one of two teenage brothers who are in a plane crash and find themselves on a strange island called Dinotopia. The inhabitants of this island include both humans and dinosaurs, who coexist in peace. It's based on a series of books for children.

And it was actually quite great, as kids' movies go. Quite refreshing after some of the crap Disney has churned out in recent years. What an amazing undertaking. Nearly 3/4 of the film had to have some sort of CGI becauses of all the dinousaurs, and the actors did an amazing job of acting to the air, I think. Of course, the CGI dinosaurs were not what you would expect were you thinking Jurassic Park. They're much less terrifying—even the T Rexes. Even their appearance is brief and as minimally frightening as possible.

Of course, you have to give it a little flexibility in judgement, since it is a non-rated movie for children. For instance, as an older viewer, I would have liked to know what brother the girl chose in the end, since one of them kissed her and one of them told her he was falling in love with her. I guess the younger viewers don't care about those things though. Or the fact that some of the dialogue was exceedingly cheesy. Or the fact that the story really beats you over the head with its "lesson."

But despite these things, or maybe because of them, I really did like this movie. It was really a great fantasy world for children, with beautiful scenery that could really insipire a young imagination. It was four hours long, and I found myself wishing that it could be even longer. In fact, I liked it so much that before I even got to disk two, I was asking my mom if she would be allowed to show this movie to her fourth-graders.

Perhaps I've just had so much adult-type stress in my life recently that I needed to feel like a kid again. This was the way to go.

Ratin: 4.0

No comments: