Friday, August 8, 2008

Newsies (1992, U.S.)

Newsies is my friend Jennifer's favorite movie. It's a musical. It's historical. So why haven't I seen it before now? Good question! I was about two minutes into the film when I decided that I was just going to have to like it. Everything about it was great, from the opening credits to the final number. And 18-year-old (pre-Little Women!) Christian Bale... what's not to like? He was actually quite a good singer and dancer, although it seemed like they left him out of as many dance sequences as possible. Strange.

The main thing I had to complain about was that there could have been more musical numbers. And a bit of the choreography was pretty lame, but most of it was amazing and fresh, for lack of a better word.

Really, I don't know what else to say about this film. One of a kind. Makes me yearn for the glory days of Disney, when they had class. Now it's garbage like Hannah Montana. Oh, to be young again.

Rating: 4.0

No comments: