Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rancid Aluminium (2000, UK)

What a strange movie. I'm not sure if there was a point. There was a plot, but at the end all I could think was, "Why?" The major idea of the movie was that a man (Ifan)'s father dies and leaves him the family company, even though the son's best friend (Fiennes) put more work into the company. The friend is jealous and smart. So he convinces the son that they're going bankrupt and enlists Russian mobsters to (it seems) steal his friend's money and then kill him.

His motivations made no sense. The Russians' role made no sense. The son's affair with the mobster's daughter made no sense. The vague ending made no sense.

I guess this just wasn't my cup of tea, but it did have Joseph Fiennes in it, so I had to try. (Random note: I think they trimmed his eyelashes so he wasn't as attractive. Some attention to detail!) The best things about this one were the acting (of course) and the score. It was almost like the score was one big joke. It was overdramatic, diverse, and just plain odd. But it fit perfectly, and really added something. If you're big on original (by which I mean unique) film music, it's worth watching just for that.

Rating: 2.5

No comments: