Friday, September 18, 2009

The Lucky Ones (2008, U.S.)

I stumbled across this movie when looking for Rachel McAdams projects. Apparently, it was pulled after only a one week limited release. I think this is an absolute tragedy, because this film is incredible.

Three soldiers have been wounded in Iraq. Two are coming home on a 30-day leave, and the third has finished his third (and last) tour of duty. They're stranded in New York because of a blackout and decide to drive cross-country to get to their final destinations.

The tagline says, "Sometimes losing your way home means finding yourself," and this captures the feel entirely. The three think they know what they're coming home to, but they don't. Colee (McAdams) is fascinated with the country, wanting to stop and sight-see everywhere she goes. This emphasizes her lack of a home. TK is worried about his ability to be sexually intimate after a groin injury, and he ends up finding emotional intimacy instead. And Cheaver has made great sacrifices for his country, but his greatest sacrifice is for his son. The various reactions of people they run into around the country—from the hero worship to the political anti-war comments to the cruelty of college girls mocking the wounded Army girl—are really an interesting representative sample of the real American sentiment, I think. Wonderful.

I've always found Tim Robbins to be a good actor, if not one with an overwhelming presence. I thought this was the case in this film, where his quiet, older nature didn't dominate the other two characters. The same can be said for Michael Peña, who is an actor with lots of unharnessed potential. He was one of my favorites in the ensamble of Crash, and he's just as great here. And of course, I adore Rachel McAdams. She is good in every role she takes, whether as a romantic lead or a solitary Iraq War veteran or a Mean Girl. Aside from being an incredibly talented actress, she has a beautiful face that looks vulnerable open and makes you want to stare into her eyes and memorize her face. Or maybe it's just me... I think I'd want to look like Rachel McAdams if I could look like anyone!

Anyway, I think this film is an amazing, amazing film about modern war. I liked Stop-Loss in its depiction of the effect the memory of war has on men's psyches. But I thought this was almost more poweful in its depiction of the effect of returning from a war to a home from which they've been long absent. It is really, really a shame that this had such a limited theatrical engagement. Everyone should see this film.

Rating: 4.0

No comments: