Sunday, September 6, 2009

No One Can Hear You (2001, U.S.)

I decided to watch this movie because it featured Kieren Hutchinson, a Kiwi actor I've seen once or twice and found quite adorable. It also stars Barry Corbin, a truly iconic actor. Of course, I'm not big into horror, but I figured I'd branch out.

The first night I started to watch it, I had to turn it off. Living alone in a very dark area across from a cemetery is not so bad on a normal day, but horror movies are not a good addition to this scenario. The opening credits are the scariest part. They show someone's darkroom, red light and eerie photos everywhere, while someone whispers, "True love never dies" in a voice that truly makes your skin crawl.

The rest was not so scary. Essentially, a bunch of suburban families with teenage daughters kept being found dead all together, decapitated. It seems to echo a crime that happened 15 years earlier. The local news reporter's daughter fears she will be next. The filmmakers work so hard to make you believe the killer is one person that it's incredibly clear that it's someone else.

It amazes me that a movie can be so horribly written with a completely nonsensical plot and yet still be so incredibly predictable. Terrible.

Rating: 2.0

No comments: