Sunday, January 23, 2011

Black Swan (2010, U.S.)

I really don't know how to rate this film. I'm giving it a 3.0 because I could appreciate all the technical aspects—acting, cinematography, score, costuming, writing. It really was phenomenal. On the other hand, I don't remember the last time I felt so psychologically damaged after watching a movie. I guess you could consider that to be some powerful filmmaking, but I was completely out of sorts for the rest of the day and just can't give it more.

The use of colors was quite well done. There was a very monochromatic scheme, mostly whites, blacks, and grays. Perhaps the colors were symbolic. Nina (Portman's character) wears a lot of gray, while the other dancers wear white and Lily (the slightly evil nemesis) wears black. There's an occasional splash of pink (inevitable in a ballet film), though most of it appears in her "innocent" bedroom.

I was very impressed with the score, which incorporated a lot of crashing ballet-type music, which gave voice to Nina's state of mind and gave the film a frantic feel. It also added to the terror.

Of course the acting was superb. I've always seen Vincent Cassel as a lively, playful, mischievous man, very French and sexy in a fun sort of way. This film gave him a whole new persona. Much more masculine, dangerous, powerful. He is very talented. Natalie Portman is another brilliant actor, with one of the most expressive faces I have ever seen. The way her eyebrows dip down when she cries make her look so childlike, and she seamlessly transitions from innocent to terrified to terrifyingly chilling. She really looked like she was having a mental breakdown. A truly powerful performance, and I knew she would win the Oscar for her role.

Lastly, what an ending. Obviously I won't give it away, but I will say that I didn't see that coming. On the other hand, I don't know how it could have ended otherwise. Pretty stunning.

Rating: 3.0

No comments: