Friday, October 24, 2008

Aimée & Jaguar (1999, Germany)

As I mentioned in my last post, Blockbuster loves recommending films to me. For some reason, it really thinks that I like "gay interest" films, as they're labeled. But hey, I'm open-minded, so I watch them.

This film is about a Jewess and the wife of Nazi soldier (also called a "conformist") who fall in love during the later years of World War II. They create a little domestic world for themselves with the conformist's children and a tight group of lesbian friends.

And that's enough to fill two hours of film. Imagine all of the obstacles faced by these two—the Nazi party, the one's Jewishness, their lesbianism, the conformist's husband, the Jewess's jealous ex-girlfriend... Quite fascinating.

The film is based on a true story, taken from the memoirs of the conformist. and yet the film is narrated by the Jewess's ex-girlfriend as an old woman (who meets the conformist in a nursing home in Berlin). This combination gives an already unique film an interesting twist.

I would recommend this film for those who like history, thwarted romance, films told in flashbacks, or gay interest pieces.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: