Thursday, October 23, 2008

Like Water for Chocolate / Como agua para chocolate (1992, Mexico)

Blockbuster loves to recommend movies to me, and sometimes I'll listen, like in this case. After all, how many times did I shelf the novel this film was based on when I worked at GCPL? Also, new foreign film is always nice.

I had mixed reactions to this one. On one hand, it had a really great love story with a twist—very dependent on Mexican culture. The main character falls in love with a man, but because she is the youngest daughter, she must never marry but instead care for her mother until her mother's death. So the man marries her sister to stay close to her. I'm not sure whether that's romantic or messed up, but there you go.

Decades of heartache and drama ensue. One sister runs off with the Mexican revolutionaries, one is married to the other's one true love, and the third tries to forget her heartache through cooking. So while most of the story was quite good, I feel like the cooking was supposed to be a lot more central to the plot. The main character was born on the kitchen table, after all. She does make everyone sad when she cries in the batter of her sister's wedding cake, then she makes everyone horny when she cooks a dish with roses that the man brings her, but otherwise, food takes a backseat to the rest of the story. I believe it was probably more integral in the book, like it was in the film Eat Drink Man Woman.

Overall, it really is a good film. The family drama, the romance, the food, the insight into early 20th century Mexican culture. I especially loved the ending and the use of magical realism throughout. In fact, I think I will start looking for more films that employ magical realism. And I would recommend this, even though I've only given it a mediocre rating.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: