Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sexo por compasión (2000, Mexico)

I really don't have much to say about this one.

I thought I wanted some more magical realism films in my life, but I'm seriously beginning to rethink this thought. This film was essentially about a small village that had been sucked dry of life. People were moving away, there was only one child, and everything was black and white. Then Dolores's husband leaves her again, and suddenly she starts sleeping with every man in town, and the town is rejuvenated. The color comes back. Everything is rainbows and sunshine. And the woman (who now calls herself Lolita), is not a whore but a saint.

It makes no sense, and I can't even pretend to have liked it. I'm sure there must have been some redeeming qualities (for instance, the use of black and white for part of the movie and color for the other part), but mostly it was just stupid. And I can't be more eloquent than that, so I'm giving up.

Rating: 2.0

No comments: