Saturday, April 18, 2009

Torque (2004, U.S.)

Would you like to see a terrible action movie often hailed as The Fast and the Furious on Motorcycles? If so, look no further! Before I have to say anything else, I have to defend myself by saying that I watched this movie with a bunch of friends on a B-movie night. So I knew it would be bad.

There are a lot of motorcycles. I guess they're cool. There are rival bike gangs, who are beyond lame. Also, one of the gangs is primarily black, and it is incredibly racist. I mean really, Ice Cube? (Not "Why did they cast him?" but "Why would he do it?") Also, the few Asians in the film were beyond stereotypical. We called the main Asian character Red Dragon, because he wore a red dragon biker jacket. Painful.

The plot was insubstantial: good guy framed for murder must prove his innocence, which involves a lot of motorcycle stunts and explosives, of course. He has a "sexy" love interest, but several of us were in agreement that this woman (although in her late 20s) looked old and worn out. Yuck.

Basically, it sucked. But the lead actor was kind of cool in the delivery of his lines... "Why yes, this is a terrible movie and my lines are even worse, but look at my over-the-top bad boy smirk!" Oh yeah.

Rating: 1.5

No comments: