Thursday, August 6, 2009

Anna Karenina (1948, UK)

I've heard that this is perhaps the worst version of Anna Karenina ever filmed, and I can perhaps see why. A lot of the dialogue was rather stilted and badly written. Karenin didn't really seem concerned with his wife's affair. The chemistry between Anna and Count Vronsky was so nonexistent that you couldn't understand what they even saw in each other.

I don't think it will surprise anyone to know what I thought was the key redeeming element in this film—Vivien Leigh. I loved her since the first time I saw her in Gone with the Wind. It is still one of my favorites, as is Waterloo Bridge (a very under-recognized film). Even though her chemistry with Moore was terrible, she acted brilliantly and dragged the film along on the hem of her elegant wardrobe. (She did, of course, look stunning.) While you never see why she loves Vronsky, her acting lets you see how torn up she becomes because of their relationship. You also see her deep and abiding love for her son, which is an especial feat of acting, in my opinion, considering that Leigh was not the best mother by all accounts.

It is really unfortunate that we can't go back in time and refilm this, keeping the leading lady and giving her the costars and direction she deserved.

Rating: 3.0

No comments: