Friday, August 14, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife (2009, U.S.)

I say it every time, but it's impossible not to compare the movie to the book. I loved Audrey Niffenegger's book. A huge part of the book was character development, flashbacks, and overall complexity. The film was just a Cliffs Notes version.

Still, if taken alone, the movie was not bad. Firstly, the casting was perfect. Rachel McAdams was made to play parts like this. Beautiful, artistic, romantic. (Think Allie in The Notebook.) I was hesitant about Eric Bana, but he wasn't bad either. Even their chemistry was pretty good.

Although this was very, very abbreviated from the novel (which I think is destined to become a classic), I think I would have liked it a lot if I hadn't read the book. The acting was perfect, the concept was fascinating, the music was beautiful. One thing I did like more in the movie was the "watered down" ending. It was really the same, but with enough change to make it easier to stomach and more romantic.

I've essentially said a whole lot of nothing here. Basically, it wasn't the book, but it was good enough to make me sob a bit.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: