Saturday, June 5, 2010

Kill Your Darlings (2006, Sweden)

A Swedish film made in the States in English. A dark comedy / drama about a guy with writer's block who essentially allows himself to be kidnapped by an insane woman who wants to help him find his muse. A story within a story about two suicidal people and their handler en route to Vegas to meet up with their celebrity psychologist, who is actually using them for a sick reality show.

Clearly, this was a bizarre film.

However, it was also quite good. Trying to piece together the overlapping stories definitely kept my attention, as did trying to figure the motivation of the characters. And on the note of characters, I have to rave about my primary motivation for seeing this film, which of course would be the opportunity to see Alexander Skarsgård playing a suicidal transvestite. I usually try to avoid sounding like a fan girl, but he really is something. His performance was so subtle, an especially glowing adjective when you consider he is a giant, masculine, 6'4" sexy Swede in a skirt and heels and nail polish and eye shadow and a wig, and he seems as fragile, awkward, sweet, and shy as a 12-year-old girl. He was just beautiful, and though I'm probably biased, I thought he stole the show.

As I mentioned before, I liked trying to puzzle out what was going on and why. In trying to search for an ultimate meaning (a very difficult task), I finally decided it was simply about two road trips, but it was also about many characters fighting through depression and trying to identify their reasons for soldiering on through life. I watched the making of feature, and everyone from the writer to the actors struggled to answer the question "What is this film about?" So I figure my interpretation is as good as any.

I must end with a closing note on the score, as usual. This one was unique, and yet it reminded me of something I can't quite place. It used a lot of vibraphone (or it may have been marimba) and had a sort of steady and upbeat yet depressing feel. It is so hard to explain in words, but it fit the plot and tone of the film to a tee. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, but a fitting score can really make or break a movie. It wasn't the only factor, but Jon Rekdal's score sure helped make this one.

I'm ready for some more Swedish film now, please, Netflix! To be more specific, I'm ready for some more Swedish film featuring Alexander Skarsgård...

Rating: 3.5

No comments: