Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Last Drop (2005, UK)

Here I go again, following a certain Swede's career all over the place. I was really glad he brought me to this one. It wasn't at all what I thought it would be like. I thought it was going to be about a real World War II military operation. Instead, it was a heist film set during the war. Think Ocean's 11 with Nazis.

I don't know how historically accurate it was, but they did cut archive footage from newsreels and the like into it, which was neat. It was war, adventure, crime, comedy... everything mixed into one.

The one thing that was awful about this one was the sound mixing.
Gunfire and explosions were so much louder than dialogue and music, it was very hard to hear. On the other hand, the writing and acting were great. Billy Zane thought he was Indiana Jones, Alexander Skarsgård was pretty convincing as a German mocking Americans, and the camaraderie between the American soldiers was well played. I never do this, but I can't help it this time: watch this clip from about 0:55 to 1:55. It is priceless!



Rating: 4.0

No comments: