Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cassandra's Dream (2007, U.S.)

First thing I said out loud at the end: "Good ending, Woody Allen."

I think it's interesting how obsessed Woody Allen seems to be with the idea of getting away with murder. I wouldn't have thought this movie was unusual on its own, but following 2005's Match Point, it's something. Colin Farrell's character was strangely similar to his Ray in this year's In Bruges -- but he continues to do the emotionally vulnerable thing well. Ewan McGregor was also good, of course. I thought the writing was a bit weak, as the brothers' motivations were not quite convincing -- but I don't think it was the acting.

Of course I absolutely adore anything composed by Philip Glass, and this score was no different. It fit perfectly with the movie and was a fantastic suspense-builder.

The best part was the ending -- surprising yet inevitable at the same time. And it left you with that "Hmmm" feeling. Excellent.

Rating: 3.5


No comments: