Friday, May 30, 2008

The Governess (1998, UK)

To say the least, this film was different. It's actually the second film I've seen this week with a major theme of antisemitism, although obviously not as prominent as in the Merchant of Venice. Mostly, I don't have strong feelings about this one, one way or the other. As I said, it definitely had a unique plot, but it left me with a desperate desire for resolution, of which there was none.

A few comments on the actors: First, I do have a newfound appreciation of Minnie Driver, who I thought could only play irritating characters, until now. Glad to see I was wrong. Also, I really did not need to see full frontal nudity of Tom Wilkinson (though I guess it was an important plot device). Of course, a nude JRM more than made up for it (though it had absolutely no plot relevance, as far as I could see).

I'd say a stronger overall opinion would require more thought or a second viewing, though I am disinclined toward either.

Rating: 3.0

No comments: