Friday, May 30, 2008

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975, UK/U.S.)

Seeing as I'm such a cinephile, people are always surprised when I haven't seen certain movies. I would say Rocky Horror is probably one of those, and that has now been corrected. I figured this was going to be one of those movies I either loved or hated, but I was wrong about that. My overall response was just "eh." It was okay. I can see how it must have been revolutionary and amazing back in the day, and I can definitely see why it had a cult following and was banned in some countries, but I wasn't floored or anything. I think the best thing I could say about it was that it was a pretty good B movie.

I did of course enjoy it more thanks to my recent obsession with Velvet Goldmine. I'm really glad I saw VG before I saw Rocky Horror, because I felt like I was much more prepared with some knowledge of the '70s and glam rock -- which were clearly a huge influence on this musical. And crazy as those glam fans of the '70s were, I can see the appeal of a man in makeup, platform boots, and androgynous clothes. Even if it's Tim Curry. Not that I don't love Tim Curry--he's an amazing actor--but he's more interesting than sexy as a cross dresser. And on the subject of actors, young Susan Sarandon running around in a bra and slip, changing from innocent young future wife to lustful man-chaser overnight... too weird.

Rating: 2.5

No comments: