Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fool's Gold (2008, U.S.)

I really had no intentions of seeing this movie, but Mom is here visiting and she wanted to see it, so I gave in. Really, it has a great cast -- Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey, Donald Sutherland, Ray Winstone... I know that Kate and Matthew have been in several silly movies (item: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days). Not that they're bad movies, they're just not great works of art. They are pretty good actors, however. Donald Sutherland is supposed to be hot stuff, and I personally thing Ray Winstone is a genius. So the caliber of actors definitely toned up what could have been a terrible movie.

Okay, so a lot of the plot didn't make sense and was just downright stupid. But it actually pulled off a touch of character development, the plot involved solving an historical mystery (although the answers came to them a bit too easily, it was still somewhat well done), and it was pretty damn funny. This was probably due in part to the fact that it was directed by a guy who does some pretty "solid" romantic comedies. (Andy Tennant also directed Hitch, Sweet Home Alabama, and Fools Rush In.)

So I wouldn't buy it, I probably wouldn't see it again (unless I happened to catch it on TV), but it was still entertaining and not a waste of time.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: