Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hancock (2008, U.S.)

Will Smith has been in some pretty awful movies (in my opinion). Case in point: Men in Black, Wild Wild West, Bad Boys... But he's a great actor. Truly great. And while this was just another Will Smith action flick, it wasn't just another Will Smith action flick. I would have waited to see this when it came out on DVD, but again, Mom wanted to see it.

It was definitely not what I expected. It was funny, it was dramatic, there was a bit of action, there was some weird, angsty, (interracial--good for you, Hollywood!) romance. The premise was actually quite good, and while the execution was slightly lacking, it still turned out well. The only part that really bothered me (and detracted from the film) was Hancock shoving one man's head up another man's rear. That was just disgusting and stupid and didn't do anything for the movie at all. So that was disappointing.

Also, the score was pretty good, alternating from subtle to in-your-face super hero-ish music. I believe I've seen several movies with music by John Powell, but I don't think it's ever stood out so much. So I think that was a good thing.

Overall, I would recommend you see this one, if you like heroes, Will Smith, or summer blockbusters. (I would probably give this a 3.5 on a normal day, but I can't give it the same score that I just gave Fool's Gold. So it gets a 4.0.)

Rating: 4.0

No comments: