Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Oscar Picks 2008

Okay, here are my picks for this year's Oscars. I'm excluding nominations for stuff like sound editing (how would I know who was best?) and documentaries/foreign films/shorts (since I haven't seen any from the category and know nothing about them). Here's the key:

* a film I've seen

My pick to win

The actual winner

Best Motion Picture of the Year

*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Ceán Chaffin, Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall
Frost/Nixon: Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Eric Fellner
*Milk: Bruce Cohen, Dan Jinks
*The Reader: Nominees to be determined
*Slumdog Millionaire: Christian Colson

Notes: I am too in love with Benjamin Button to even contemplate anything else winning. It was just too good. There are a few films I'm surprised not to see here, but then when has the Academy ever listened to me?

*edit: 2/20/2009 I just saw Slumdog Millionaire, and I loved it. I'm really torn now.*

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Richard Jenkins for The Visitor
Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon
*Sean Penn for Milk
*Brad Pitt for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler

Notes: This is going to be a tough competition. There's been a lot of buzz about these movies, and based on the previews for Frost/Nixon and the Wrestler, Langella and Rourke are definitely contenders. Sean Penn was incredible in Milk, but I still don't think he deserved the win for Mystic River, so not winning this one would even it out. Also, I think Brad Pitt is long overdue for an Oscar. The fact that he was only nominated once before this is inconceivable. And this was definitely one of his best performances yet. If he doesn't win, I will be unhappy.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

*Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married
*Angelina Jolie for Changeling
Melissa Leo for Frozen River
Meryl Streep for Doubt
*Kate Winslet for The Reader

Notes: This one is also tough. First, why did Cate Blanchett not get nominated for Benjamin Button? The woman deserves at least that. As for the rest, it's no secret that I love Jolie and Winslet. Jolie was great in Changeling, but if she was competing against herself in other roles, I'm not sure if she'd win or not. On the other hand, the same is kind of true for Winslet. But this is her 6th nomination, and like Pitt, she deserves one. So I'm going to pull for her (even though I would be just as thrilled if Angie won another). Still, I have never liked Anne Hathaway, and she was wonderful in Rachel Getting Married. Something tells me she will end up being the real winner, but I refuse to pull for her!

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

*Josh Brolin for Milk
Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt
*Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight
*Michael Shannon for Revolutionary Road

Notes: Heath. Need we say more? He was robbed in 2005 for Brokeback, and I don't think anyone can deny his Joker was incredible. If he doesn't win, this might just be the last year I watch the Awards. *edit: Michael Shannon was really great in Revolutionary Road, so he definitely deserved the nomination... just a comment. I'm still all for Heath.*

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams for Doubt
Penélope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis for Doubt
*Taraji P. Henson for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei for The Wrestler

Notes: I've barely seen any of these, but I'm going to make a wild guess at Amy Adams for this one, because I think she's good.

Best Achievement in Directing

*Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire
*Stephen Daldry for The Reader
*David Fincher for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard for Frost/Nixon
*Gus Van Sant for Milk

Notes: Just because I love it.

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Frozen River: Courtney Hunt
Happy-Go-Lucky: Mike Leigh
*In Bruges: Martin McDonagh
*Milk: Dustin Lance Black
WALL·E: Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Jim Reardon

Notes: I don't really have enough to go on in this category, but I remember being surprised when I saw In Bruges that it was so funny and moving all at the same time. Which probably comes down to good writing.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Eric Roth, Robin Swicord
Doubt: John Patrick Shanley
Frost/Nixon: Peter Morgan
*The Reader: David Hare
*Slumdog Millionaire: Simon Beaufoy

Notes: Again, I just love it.

Best Achievement in Cinematography

*Changeling: Tom Stern
*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Claudio Miranda
*The Dark Knight: Wally Pfister
*The Reader: Roger Deakins, Chris Menges
*Slumdog Millionaire: Anthony Dod Mantle

Notes: Seems like I pick the visually stunning films to watch! Of all of these, I think Benjamin Button was best. I loved Changeling and really liked The Reader and Dark Knight, but Benjamin Button just seems right for this win. *edit 2/20/2009 Uh oh, now I've seen all five, and Slumdog was visually stunning too!*

Best Achievement in Art Direction

*Changeling: James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis
*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo
*The Dark Knight: Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando
*The Duchess: Michael Carlin, Rebecca Alleway
*Revolutionary Road: Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt

Notes: Period pieces always win art direction. It's a fact.

Best Achievement in Costume Design

*Australia: Catherine Martin
*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Jacqueline West
*The Duchess: Michael O'Connor
*Milk: Danny Glicker
*Revolutionary Road: Albert Wolsky

Notes: Look, a bunch of period films got nominated! 19th century, scattered 20th century, 17th century, 1970s, 1950s. I get the feeling that the more elaborate the costumes, the more likely an Oscar is. Which is why I'm going for The Duchess.

Best Achievement in Makeup

*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Greg Cannom
*The Dark Knight (2008): John Caglione Jr., Conor O'Sullivan
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008): Mike Elizalde, Thomas Floutz

Notes: I decided Benjamin Button would win makeup before I even saw it was nominated. The aging done on Blanchett and Pitt was too incredible. I will be beyond shocked if this doesn't win.

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Alexandre Desplat
*Defiance: James Newton Howard
*Milk: Danny Elfman
*Slumdog Millionaire: A.R. Rahman
WALL·E: Thomas Newman

Notes: This is probably the hardest category for me, because I will be disappointed for almost anyone who doesn't win. Desplat, Howard, Elfman, and Newman are four of my all time favorite composers. But of the three of these films I've seen, I can easily say that Defiance will win, since my immediate reaction to the film was that the score was the best, best part. It was haunting, beautiful, perfect.

Best Achievement in Visual Effects

*The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron
*The Dark Knight: Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Timothy Webber, Paul J. Franklin
Iron Man: John Nelson, Ben Snow, Daniel Sudick, Shane Mahan

Notes: I'm a sucker for this film.

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Bolt: Chris Williams, Byron Howard
Kung Fu Panda: John Stevenson, Mark Osborne
WALL·E: Andrew Stanton

Notes: I haven't seen any of these, but I've just heard too much hype about WALL·E to think it won't win.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I wish the Oscars weren't on a Sunday. I'd want to have an Oscar viewing party night! Those are always a lot of fun