Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pillow Talk (1959, U.S.)

This movie reminded me a lot of Down with Love, which I adore. And when I looked it up after I watched this, I found out that Down with Love was a giant nod to sex comedies of this era, but especially to Pillow Talk.

I liked this film quite a bit. It didn't blow me away or anything, but it was an enjoyable way to spend an evening at home. There were quite a few laugh-out-loud moments, and some sappy parts too.

This might be complete sacrilege or what have you, but I really wasn't too thrilled with Doris Day. I think this is the first film I've seen with her, and I just thought she was so-so. I think her character could have been just as easily played by countless other actresses. And her singing... yeah. I just don't see the allure. Rock Hudson, on the other hand, is dreamy, charismatic, and suave. Kind of Clark Gable meets Cary Grant, but mostly in a mold of his own. Very sexy.

If you like cases of mistaken identity, sex comedies, battles of the sexes, old movies, or a good laugh, you should definitely see this one.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: