Friday, January 2, 2009

The Reader (2008, U.S.)

I was torn between "liking" and "really liking" this film. Obviously, I recognize that it has some astounding qualities—hence the word "film" instead of movie."

First, the acting. I adore Kate Winslet, and this was one of her best performances yet; she definitely deserves her Oscar nomination. It's unfortunate that one has to spend most of a movie looking completely hideous to get a nomination, but I guess that's just how it is. Her characterization of Hanna Schmitz was subtle and well done; even her accent was consistent. I was also impressed with David Kroß, the 18-year-old German who played young Michael Berg opposite Winslet. (Fiennes played the old Michael Berg.) He is an incredible actor for being so young, and he was able to convincingly portray this boy as a young teenager and then an older law student. He did adult scenes tastefully (and again, convincingly) as if he's been doing this for years. It was only his fifth movie. Lastly, Ralph Fiennes. I go back and forth on whether he is a good actor or not, but in any case I don't think this film was his best. His personality seems to be nonexistant, though this perhaps enables Winslet to shine even more as an old woman.

The plot is definitely not action driven. I would perhaps call it a "slice of life" approach, as it shows key scenes from young Berg's relationship with Hanna, her war crimes trial, and their lives as they age. I really liked that it wasn't in-your-face, instead relying on the viewer to immerse himself in this place and pick up on small details. It was like a character study of Hanna and her relationship to Berg—and to the truth. A very intelligent, high brow kind of film.

One thing that really bothered me was that towards the end, the viewer finds himself trying harder and harder to read into the two characters' motives; their behavior doesn't make sense (perhaps because I personally would have responded to what happened in a different way), and their thoughts are veiled. I think it's clear that this was an adaptation of a book, and there is likely much more elaboration on the thought processes in the novel. This is one weakness of adopting this kind of novel to the screen. (I'll have to read the book to verify.)

Lastly, two of the most important factors: music and setting. I love that almost the entire movie was filmed on location. The viewer can really get a feel for beautiful countryside where Berg and Schmitz spent their summer affair and the urban feel of Berlin. Filming on location is a very wise move in most movies, in my opinion. And the score was lovely. I'd never heard of Nico Muhly, but something tells me he's going places.

I'm not quite sure whether I'd call this one a classic that will stand the test of time, but it is definitely a must-see for this year at least.

Rating: 4.0

No comments: