Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Mighty Heart (2007, U.S.)

I had wanted to see this when it came out but never got around to it. I have to say that I was pretty disappointed. In fact, I don't have much more to say than that. The filming was completely disjointed, which is what I guess they were going for. However, it didn't work at all.

The film is a true story about a journalist kidnapped by terrorists in Pakistan, and his pregnant wife's frantic search for him. It could have been a very moving film because of the subject matter, but several factors worked against it. First, the disjointedness. Second, the focus on police procedure rather than the emotional toll. Third, they tried to convey the feeling of waiting, but instead of the frantic, helpless feeling they should have presented, all they managed was boredom.

I also thought the script was quite weak, which contributed to the problems I just mentioned. A pregnant woman is searching for her kidnapped husband, but the human emotion is almost completely lacking. It is unclear why Mariane Pearl has "a mighty heart," because her limited dialogue didn't give Jolie anything to work with to create the emotion this situation should create. However, Jolie is of course the one bright spot in this film. When she receives news of her husband's murder, her reaction is powerful. That woman can act, and she can save almost any movie.

Although I haven't read it myself, I think I can safely say that reading Mariane Pearl's book might be a better use of your time.

Rating: 2.5

No comments: