Saturday, June 7, 2008

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (2007, U.S.)

Today was not the first time I've seen Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, but it is the most recent addition to my DVD collection, so I thought I'd write a few words about it. I first saw this film about 8 months ago, and I've thought about it often since then. It is beautiful and sad, one of those films that somehow makes me mourn for something that has been lost for over a hundred years. One of those films that makes me hate being American even more. Because all of that "manifest destiny" bullshit caused this nation to destroy the lives of countless native peoples, and I can't see that much has changed, though more than a century has passed.

But I don't want to get on my high horse here. I just want to say that if you haven't seen this one, you should. You really should. If for no other reason, see it because August Schellenberg's Sitting Bull is the best-played native character I think I have ever seen. (For those of you in my generation, you'll probably remember Schellenberg from Free Willy or Iron Will.) His performance is truly powerful and moving. The worst part of it is how far removed you feel from his character, but I think the withdrawn quality of his personality was the choice of the screenwriters.

Other good elements include: First, the simple score by George S. Clinton. As far as I know, this is the only "real" movie he's done the score for. (He's done a lot of lowbrow-type stuff, but nothing on this scale.) It's simple, primarily piano with occasional violin and tribal flute, and its haunting beauty fits perfectly. It also blends well with the Lakota chanting, the other primary musical element. Beautiful. Second, there is also the natural beauty of the setting, although I believe it was filmed mostly in Canada, not the Dakotas. Third, one of the central characters is a man who was taken from his tribe at a young age and Americanized. He returns as an adult to minister to his people as a doctor, and from that perspective he is able to see both what his people have lost and what he personally chose to give up. A unique view.

If you like this movie, you might also be interested in the TNT mini-series from a couple of years ago, Into the West. I also thought it was incredibly well-done, especially considering it was financed by TNT, not HBO. It's much longer and more detailed, covering 60 years instead of 15. Also, you become much more personally invested in the characters, both white and native. Definitely a good way to spend 12 hours. But start with Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

Rating: 4.5

No comments: