Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Kissing Jessica Stein (2001, U.S.)

I watched this movie because Blockbuster recommended it based on other movies I've rented. (Something tells me this was based primarily on Imagine Me & You, which is quite a good movie.)

I thought this movie was pretty good, but it could have been a lot stronger. It's about a woman who wants to change her life and try something new. She's also sick of men. So when she reads a singles ad for a person that she feels a connection to, she calls the poster up -- even though it's another woman.

They embark on an awkward romance/friendship, learning a lot about themselves and each other in the process. I thought it was just as much about self-discovery as it was about love. For instance, Jessica is inspired to begin painting again, and she also inspires a friend from college to continue his writing. All of the characters grow as people, and they wouldn't have been able to do so without each other.

I guess I especially liked this because it reminded me of a situation in my own life (although I was not romantically involved with the woman in question). Other people shape us (or help us discover our original shape) more than we like to admit, I think. And that's what this movie was all about. I just wish it had a little more "oompf."

Bravo for the odd (and somewhat awkward) ending. I don't know if it fit the movie or not, but it was definitely unexpected and left me with a terrible feeling of no resolution. Which can be good sometimes, though I'm not sure if it was in this case or not.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: