Sunday, June 28, 2009

Love & Rage (1998, Ireland)

I haven't seen many Irish films, but I've liked the ones I've seen. Of course, this one I watched because it stars Daniel Craig.

It's based on a true story. From what I can tell online, it's very, very loosely based. The long and short of it is that an aristocratic widow running her own estate took on an inexperienced, peasant estate agent. They fall in love, have an affair, he gets violent and things get tense. In the historical case, all I can find out says that he raped her, beat her, left her for dead. He fled Ireland, was hailed as a hero by Teddy Roosevelt (I think it was) for something unrelated, and wasn't tried in Ireland until years later.

So in other words, this story is screaming for a melodramatic interpretation. And the filmmakers did not disappoint in that regard. Personally, I thought it was just too over the top. And even the normally brilliant Daniel Craig laid it on too thick. I guess that's what they were going for. I don't think I'd recommend it at all.

Rating: 2.5

No comments: