Sunday, June 28, 2009

Smoke Signals (1998, U.S.)

Sherman Alexie is an author I've really gotten into recently. (His YA book The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian is the best YA book I've ever read, I think.) I was in Spokane for a job interview, and he's a Spokane/Couer d'Alene Indian. So what better movie to watch in the Spokane airport on my laptop?

I think I didn't appreciate it as much as I could have because I had heard it was a comedy and was expecting it to be a comedy. It's much more serious than that. It's a coming of age story about two native boys who are unsure about their places in the world. One is a sheltered orphan, the other is much more worldly and has issues with his father. It was a really beautiful film about self-discovery on many levels.

I would definitely recommend this film. The characters are very real, and you feel as if you can relate to them on some level (even though their problems are so different). The scenery is beautiful. The writing is great. And it will make you think. Good film.

Rating: 3.5

No comments: